Manish,

To answer question 1, creation of A tables is normal. The AR System doesn't
do an alter table.. It creates a duplicate A table, copies information from
T to A, drops T, recreates T with the new structures, and then copies info
from A to T and then drops A.. This has been the design since the very early
versions of the ARS.. I think this has changed with the newer version, but
my mind is a bit foggy about that at the moment - I'm nursing a slight fever
and cold..

To answer 2, Why would you want to alter a production environment during
production hours? It is not recommended unless you have a show stopper.. And
even then you bring the system offline while repairing the show stopper if
it involves altering the main application table.. I am assuming that you
have millions of records in this table? This could mean that the whole
process of altering that table could take several minutes.. And yes the T
table will be missing during that time. No one should be allowed to be using
the application at that time.

Answer to Q3 - The temp table size varies according to the size if the DB.
>From a long time ago, I heard recommendations that it should be half the
size of the main database file.. If the database you are on, supports auto
extend or auto growth or similar options, use those so that your temp space
would not be lacking space in case there is a need for growth..

Answer to Q4 - Indexes normally should not automatically drop.. Once created
they should stay in existence until that field is dropped. If you drop that
field and recreate it for whatever good reason that may be, the index is
lost.. Recreate it if its needed. The only other reason I can think of why
it can possibly go missing, is if someone messed with the meta data table
field_index and deleted an index there for your table, and then modified
your helpdesk form.. Then when recreating that table, the ARS would look up
the index meta data table and create indexes for only the information that
is available..

Question 5 - Painfully slow performance especially when you are performing
admin tasks such as modifying large tables, writing workflow etc. Moderately
slow performance for other users..

Joe