My wife would say I'm blessed with selective memory J

Ok.I just confirmed on a test form that I built that if the user has 0%
chance of seeing the data, they can't even see the field.  If however the
field has 'dynamic' field permissions (assignee, assignee group, submitter,
etc), then they have a POTENTIAL to access the field depending on the
record.so it gives them the field so it doesn't need to re-paint the screen
if a record is selected where they do have permissions..so.here it is in a
nutshell

If the user has ANY chance of EVER putting a value in that field (on submit,
or via dynamic permissions), they see the field

if they don't have access to the data on that record, they will see the
field, but the data will be blank

if they don't have access to the field by straight group permissions, and
the field doesn't have any dynamic group permissions, they can't see the
field or the data

good luck..