Hi Folks,

Back in the days of ARS 4.mumble, I developed a help desk application for my
organization. At that stage of my development experience, I did not understand
the issues surrounding modifying Remedy objects such as the User and Group
forms. In my ignorance, I added fields, changed permissions and moved stuff
around on the User and Group forms. I got lucky when we transitioned to ARS
5.1.2 and I simply imported all of my stuff to the new server. It worked!

Now I am more experienced and I understand the reasons why you don't modify the
User and Group forms. As part of my plan to transition to 7.6, I had planned to
create a form of my own to hold my additional fields and I would present them
to my users through a join between my form and the User form. [You may remember
that I ran into a slight problem with having too many "special" fields from the
User form on my join form.] I figured this would be the best way to proceed
since I was making very minimal changes to the User form.

Now, as I read the "What's New in ARS 7.6.04" I see a description of the
"Preserving customizations with overlays and custom objects". On the face of
it, this sounds like it is designed to allow one to make changes to a
BMC-supplied form such as the User form and still be relatively immune to
collisions and upgrade problems.

So I have two questions:

- Am I understanding this new feature correctly and is it now an "ok practice"
to modify the User form if I use the Overlay feature?

- Is this the "best practice" method for accomplishing what I am trying to do?

As a side discussion, are there performance issues with one method over the
other? I recall in the back of my mind that updates to fields in the User form
cause the User Cache table to be updated. Is that true and is it a performance
issue? I presume it would still be true when using the Overlay method and not
an issue when using the join method.

I have already made a small time investment in implementing the join-form
method but I am willing to scrap it in favor of the Overlay method if that is
the way to go. I still want to do something similar with the Group form so now
would be a good time for me to decide which way I should proceed.

I appreciate any guidance you might have on these questions.

Thanks.
Larry

Larry Robinson                                   n...@ncsu.edu
Office of Information Technology
NC State University                              919-515-5432 Voice
Raleigh, NC  27695-7109                          919-513-0877 FAX