Ben,

This has been a feature of the system for quite a while now.  7.5 most
definitely, 7.0 I think so, before that,
I am not sure.

I did a quick search in the on-line documentation and found a section of the
document titled

"Working with the Request ID field"

This section clearly calls out the possibility of setting this field to a
length of 1 to achieve the affect you are
commenting on.

I do have to agree however that in the section

"Core Fields"

where each of the core fields is described, it does not include the extra line
or two describing the affect of
setting the length to 1.  So, that is a good doc bug/enhancement you can submit.

I didn't look further at other places to see if it does or does not discuss
this topic or even whether it is
appropriate for that discussion in other areas.

But, the key is that the capability exists to control the ID and get no leading
0s if that is what you want.  It
does mean that sorting by the Request ID is no longer in clean order because
the request ID is a character
field and without leading 0s things do not sort "numerically"  correctly as the
number of characters in the
value changes.  But it is your choice.

Note: No lead 0's can work with a prefix as well.  The prefix will be present
but no lead 0s between the prefix
and the Request ID number.

Doug Mueller