Sometimes it is very hard to find a balance between the user
experience and handling of the customizations.
We went through similar review where our VP discarded 90 percent of
the customizations for the new upgrade.
But during the training/demos users are pissed off because
1. It is completely web based and slower than user tool
2. They are loosing the look and feel or the handy customizations they
had for the past six years
3.With the best practice views many fields that were in the classic
view are either no more used or hidden or not easily accessible.
So we had to rebuild some of the easy ones from the discarded
customizations to get a buy in for UAT sign off.
With new version OOTB there are only very few fields that are required
to close a ticket, and it will mess up several  matrics/reports.
For example Product or Operational categorization are optional OOTB,
and they are required for metrics,auto assignments,approvals in our
company.
Users were asking for several process enforcement rules like they must
enter data in field x, if there is a value in field y etc..
It was very hard to convince users that  many of their requirements
are user training issue rather than a tool customization.
At the end we had to reject the user requests and direct them to VP
and CAB to get the sign off.