Because of popular demand, I'll post my findings to date. Let me preface
this by saying that independently, the documentation and customization
methods are fine for 2.5 and 7.6.x. So if you are a customer going to
7.6 from scratch, following the customization procedures should ensure a
good path moving forward... for the most part.

Again, if ANY of you have done this successfully and can prove me wrong,
that will be great because it means we can move forward with our
project. I REALLY hope someone has done this upgrade but so far, I
haven't been able to find anyone.

Here's the issue when upgrading.

1.       In 2.5, BMC recommendation for customization was just to use
standard naming conventions and things like that. Great. We did that.

2.       In 7.6, BMC recommends creating a linked custom universe which
"sits on top of" the OOB ITSM universe and doing all the customizations
there. (You preserve your OOB universe that way and in the future, you
just break the link and recreate the link between your custom and new
OOB universe) Great. We did that too.

3.       They then recommend running the import tool for Boxi to pull
the reports and users over from old to new. Here's where the fun begins

a.       All of the 2.5 reports are attached to the "ITSM" universe
which is OOB. When importing, they still retain that universe
relationship.

b.      Because of this, it doesn't see (not that it matters) any of
your customizations in the custom universe. The reports will import
without error but all the custom objects will be dropped.

c.       Let's say you find a creative way to change your reports in 2.5
to the same name as the custom universe you created for 7.6 (we found a
way and thought we were awesome).

d.      You go back to running the import tool but still, the objects
are dropped. Why? Because the import tool looks at a CUID which is a
backend GUID for each object. This object just won't match because you
created them brand new in the new universe!

e.      The first recommendation from support was to use the Import tool
to bring over the 2.5 Universe... yeah... but... we'd lose all the
benefits of upgrading.

f.        The final blow to us was this... Let's say a field like
"Change - Task Notes" is missing from the universe in 2.5. We went ahead
and added it. Now, in 7.6, the object is included in the OOB universe.
You can't really use that new object because all of your reports are
pointing to the custom object.

So what have we done? We're now looking at recreating 800+ reports in
the new environment. Complete recreation of every report. Obviously,
we're not happy.

-Tauf Chowdhury

646-483-2779