Thad,

We do something similar to what you describe you want to do. It's easier now
than it was a few versions ago. What makes it easier is the fixed, floating
licenses are stored in the data base.

Anyway what you do is create a DNS alias for your production server. You
configure desktop clients and any MidTier servers to connect using the alias.
Any internal connections like the email engine should also use the alias. Make
sure everything works right.

Install the second server to the DB instance. Make sure you do the installation
as an upgrade. Like with the production server make sure that internal
connections use the alias. Apply any server license while you have the fail
over up and running. (You can get a hot stand by server license at no cost but
you do have to renew it each year).

If you need to switch to the fail over server, you shut down the production.
Change DNS alias. Start up the fail over. Desktop clients may need to flush
their DNS cache.

In our case we also have several MidTier instances that are running on separate
servers around the world. Users connect to the MidTier servers using a DNS
alias defined with in the regional zone.

The big thing is to test the stand by configuration at least once a year. You
will be surprised at the little things hiding in config files that you forgot
to change.
Dave
dave.shell...@tycoelectronics.com
(Wireless)