Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I found out why this was happening,
but  I am still not sure exactly what caused it behind the scenes.
Just in case anyone else has the same or similar workflow, and has the
same problem with jumping incident #s

Just an FYI, the jumps in my incident #'s were in a vast range.
Sometimes jumps of 2, 5, then 27, 40, back to 2, then 10, then 5, 27,
etc, and every so often it would jump over 100 numbers within a 3
minute range.

So what was causing it, or at least having a direct effect.

I have built workflow to process incoming emails into 7.6 Incident
Management.  It is the typical:

1.  Copy incoming messages to a processing form.
2.  have the workflow check for possible spam/to address/etc
3.  push it to a new ticket
4.  or update an existing one if there is a ticket# in the subject line.

It was working fine for approximately 7-8 days after our go-live, and
then something in it seemed to cause the ticket# jumps.

The reason I am 99% sure it was this, is because while troubleshooting
different possibilites one at a a time, I ended up disabling all email
processing workflow, and within minutes the Incident#s were back to
normal increments(only jumping 1, 2 or 3 numbers which is normal based
on amount of people we have working tickets).   So I enabled all
workflow again, and the increments are still normal.

So at this time, even though the email workflow is enabled, my
incident #s are normal.  I am still monitoring every day to make sure
nothing starts jumping again.

I do not know yet what caused this, but am still investigating and
researching to see what I can come up with.

thanks for all your ideas and help,
Michael

Michael Hirst
University of Arizona,