While it is technically possible to change a CI type I do not recommend it.

Instead, I've done a Meta-Update script for a customer in a similar
situation that changed the product catalogue, and replicated CIs in the
correct class along with all related records (associations, relationships,
contracts, etc).

Once the CIs are replicated and validated, the script deletes the old CIs.

If interested, contact me off-list.

Cheers

Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile:      +49 171 380 2329    GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:        <mailto:Ben.Chernys_AT_softwaretoolhouse.com> Ben.Chernys _AT_
softwaretoolhouse.com
Web:          <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com> www.softwaretoolhouse.com

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate
your imports, migrations, in no time at all, without programming,
without staging forms, without merge workflow.
 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/