Tomcat has had a force option for years

tomcat/bin/catalina.sh stop -force

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of John Baker
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:50 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Internal Servern Error 500 (Midtiern 7.604)

Patrick,

Unfortunately I don't. Call me old fashioned, but at JSS, we try to fix
the bugs before the product goes out of the door and when bugs are
reported, we get a patch out as soon as possible (usually within 24
hours) :-)

You'd need to monitor stdout*.log on Windows, or catalina.out on Unix,
for java.lang.NullPointerException. If I were writing something, I'd ask
it to monitor a list of log files (recalling some will rotate, which
would break the Unix tail -f command) and email me with errors.
Something like this, running every X minutes:

grep NullPointerException tomcat/logs/catalina.out 2> /dev/null &&
tomcat/bin/catalina.sh stop; sleep 20; tomcat/bi/catalina.sh start

But Tomcat may not stop, as JVMs tend to get upset and not gracefully
exit when they've been busy throwing exceptions. So the stop/start needs
to be better and check for a java process ID, killing it if need be.

Really not very nice :)

John
--
SSO Plugin for BMC products