Subject: Re: SRM - Colors & 'Branding'? And Confusion
From: David Burdette <dav...@ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, October 28, 2011 3:22 pm
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

**
Thanks very much to all who have responded to my question; I have been able to mine substantial useful information out of the discussions.

I am a bit puzzled on one point; and I imagine my puzzlement is only a symptom of my lack of familiarity with this whole constellation of topics.

The puzzlement: some responders have referred to “SRM” as if it were somehow an optional/competing product, which should be considered as one possible alternative, amongst a field of options.

I’m a management-type; I have a development team whom I’m supervising in a roll-out of a product we purchased, which I know as “Remedy ITSM Suite.” It was my impression that what I’m calling “SRM” – in the context of this list, and this inquiry – is a standard component of the “Remedy ITSM Suite” product, and is the component provided by BMC for users to initiate ‘tickets’ of various types into the Remedy system.

Since I *thought* this was a “Remedy-specific” list, I thought my question, and its context, would be unambiguous. But it seems I’m reading about the relative merits of competing alternatives, and that (what I think of as) “Remedy/SRM” may not even EXIST.  It may be a separate optional product, which may, or may not, be a normal part of a “Remedy” (whatever that is – I used to think I knew…) installation.

I find myself bewildered and distressed, that I may have a completely erroneous concept of the product I *thought* I bought. But since we bought it from a 3rd-party (not BMC), and the “consultants” (of whom I’ve seen TOO MANY) are all independent contractors working (loosely) for the 3rd-party vendor, I may not have accurate information. In fact, I may have nothing but clever sales-pitches. Lawyers, politicians, vendors, and consultants… need I say more?

I’m not even sure, at this point, what my question is – if I *have* a question.

But I do think I have some direction to share with my developers on how to do “SRM – Colors & Branding.” And I thank you for that.

Regards,
-dpb-

David Burdette; Assistant Director, Computing Infrastructure Services
University of Florida; Computing and Networking Services
www.cns.ufl.edu : Voice 352.273-1309 : Fax 352.392-1440