From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Mueller, Doug
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:54 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: BMC's Future on the horizon.. IMHO

Everyone,

What Chris describes here is a new discovery that is unique to IE9 where
something has changed in

the IE implementation.  As part of the model that BMC uses for the AR
System, we support the

specified versions of products "or later".  In this case, IE9 was not
available when the current version

was released (7.6.04 was released in January 2011 and IE9 in March
2011).

The product is fully functional with IE9.  However, we have discovered
an interaction issue that causes

a performance problem with IE9.  We are working with both Microsoft and
Adobe on this issue to see

if can be resolved.  In addition, some redesign of the approach has
mostly eliminated the problem from

the next major release (but that strategy cannot be backported to the
current release).

So, enough of the overall philosophy, let's look at this situation.

There are a number of UI features that we added in recent releases.
Some of them were not supported

on specific browsers so we had to find alternatives for supporting the
capability.  Specifically, there are

three features: rounded corners, gradient colors, and vertical text.
These three capabilities could not

be supported in IE natively because the capability was not present.  To
allow these capabilities, we

incorporated the use of Flash for IE.  All of the other browsers -
Safari, Firefox, and even the other

used but unsupported browsers like Chrome - have the necessary support.
So, the workaround was

used only for IE environments.

Everything works fine for IE6, IE7, and IE8 but with IE9, something has
changed so that there is now a

performance cost for the workaround.   This is what we are working to
find out what the issue is with

the other vendors.

Now, there are several options:

1)      The performance issues is not really affecting you so do nothing

2)      Use a browser other than IE

3)      Use a version of IE before IE9  (for example, use IE8)

4)      Use FlashPlayer 10.2 or earlier (the problem has been isolated
to the combination of IE9 using
FlashPlayer 10.3, or later unless a fix is added later)

5)      Go to the System config settings and set the option that turns
off the use of Flash for these
three capabilities - you will not get rounded corners, vertical text, or
gradient colors but you will
not loose any other functionality or capability within the system.  It
is a cosmetic affect

So, in summary....

This may affect you ONLY IF you

*       Run IE9 as your browser

*       Use FlashPlayer 10.3 or later

*       Leave the system config setting to use Flash for these features
turned on (the default)

Otherwise, this issue does not have any affect on your system.  And, it
will affect only users that have

this combination as their client - other users on the same system
without this combination will not

be affected.

There are several options (which may or may not be possible in your
environment) to eliminate the

problem immediately.

BMC is continuing to work with the vendors on this problem to see we can
find out why the problem

suddenly showed up with this combination of technology and to see if we
can eliminate the issue from

future releases with alternate designs or approaches.

I hope this explanation has been helpful both for this specific issue
and to show a case in action of the

"or later" support strategy.

Doug Mueller