From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of john.athe...@schneider-electric.com
Sent: November-11-11 22:20
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: SQL feed into Remedy 7.6 sending special characters

**
When a user calls into the Helpdesk and tells then their name is Noël Smith the
support person in another part of the world types in Noel Smith and does a
search.  Since Noel Smith does not equal Noël Smith they get the message no
record found.   I think I'm going to push back that support needs to search on
the user company ID.

Thanks

John Atherly  |   APC by Schneider Electric   |  Information, Process &
Organization (IPO)  |   Remedy Administrator / Developer
Phone: +305-266-5005 ext. 237  |
Email:  <mailto:%20john.athe...@apcc.com> john.athe...@apcc.com  |   Site:
<http://www.apc.com/>  www.apc.com/  |   Address: 703 Waterford Way, Suit 850,
Miami, FL 33126 USA
*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Ben Chernys <ben.cher...@softwaretoolhouse.com>
Sent by: "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)" <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>

11/11/2011 04:07 PM

Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

cc

Subject

Re: SQL feed into Remedy 7.6 sending special characters

**
Why would you want to?  Do you not want the names correct?  I am quite sure
they would not be in fields that cannot support them such as email addresses of
user ids.

Also, and perhaps only with umlauts in German, removal of the umlaut implies an
addition of an ‘e’.  So for example, Juergen and Jürgen are equivalent in
German.  The same is not true for French accents.  And there are umlauts in
French as well.  Noël for example.  Note that there are no umlauts on ‘E’ in
German and only on ‘E’ in French.  I do not know the correct rules for removing
accents from Norwegian or Finnish.

So removal of these special characters (or rather the translation of these
characters) would depend on the language that those characters were used in
(perhaps in the case of a person, the site or country of that person).

Finally, should you really want to do this, you can certainly approach it in a
number of ways.

One would be simply build an SQL view effecting the translations.  In this case
(I am presuming you will be using a view form) you would base the form on your
view rather than the source table.  Then, the characters would be replaced
before they got to Remedy.

With Meta-Update you can cause these characters to be changed with a simple
substitute on reading the SQL before they get to Remedy.  You can also base the
substitution on the other data in the SQL such as language or location.

Umlauts and other accents and characters are handled in the extended ASCII
character set no problem so there is really no need to change these characters
even if you are not running a UTF database.

Cheers
Ben Chernys

Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile:      +49 171 380 2329    GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:        <mailto:ben.cher...@softwaretoolhouse.com> Ben.Chernys _AT_
softwaretoolhouse.com
Web:          <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> www.softwaretoolhouse.com

Check out Software Tool House's free Diary Editor.

Meta-Update, our premium ARS Data tool, lets you automate
your imports, migrations, in no time at all, without programming,
without staging forms, without merge workflow.
 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/> http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/