I'd try the SSD if I was you.

Cloning and replacing the hard drive in the laptop is a breeze.

Paying for the SSD is painful though - ~ £460 for a 500G version here in the UK

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Murnane, Phil
Sent: 16 March 2012 13:30
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Solid State Hard Drives

Peter:

I have a habit of keeping a resource monitor (Windows 7 Resource Monitor or
CentOS GNOME widget) running on my laptop at all times and of never using the
host OS to do anything except run VMs.  Given sufficient RAM (8GB seems
adequate), I've found that the hard disk is almost always the bottleneck in
performance, especially when running more than one VM.

I've been considering buying an external esata enclosure with two 7200 RPM
drives configured as RAID 0 for my work laptop.  I use a similar storage
configuration on my home server, and the disk bottleneck is much reduced.

All that being said, SSDs have seemed pretty stable for the last couple of
years.  If performance similar to the RAID 0 configuration can be achieved
internally, then it would be _way_ more convenient than an external enclosure.

HTH,
--Phil