You might look into the ar.conf parameter "Read-Only-Tran-Off"

>From the docs:
"Causes AR System not to create database transactions when only
reading data."

Whether this will help or not depends on where the lock is coming from.
 You can see what has a lock using this:
select do.object_name,
        dbms_rowid.rowid_create(1,
        ROW_WAIT_OBJ#,
        ROW_WAIT_FILE#,
        ROW_WAIT_BLOCK#,
        ROW_WAIT_ROW#) row_id,
        'select * from ' do.object_name ' where rowid = '''
        dbms_rowid.rowid_create(1,
        ROW_WAIT_OBJ#,
        ROW_WAIT_FILE#,
        ROW_WAIT_BLOCK#,
        ROW_WAIT_ROW#) '''' query
from v$session s,
       dba_objects do
where s.sid = 54 and
         s.ROW_WAIT_OBJ# = do.object_id;

(attributed to
http://knol.google.com/k/oracle-locks<http://knol.google.com/k/oracle-locks#>
)

This page also has some good queries to get a list of the locks:
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_00054_locks.htm

Axton Grams