You can check if the port is in use using netstat.  For example. to see if
port 1100 is available:

[user@server AREmail]$ netstat -na |grep 1100
      *.1100               *.*                0      0 49152      0 LISTEN

If you get a line back that says LISTEN, it means that the port is already
in use.

If you try to use a port that is already in use, I expect that either the
email engine will not start or it will start but not respond to admin
requests.

Axton