Kevin:

You *might* be able to use SLM notifications for this, and I think the thing
you want to look at first is whether you can link these notifications via
milestone to the service targets you're going to be using anyway.  If you're
going with Response and Resolution time targets, SLM might work for you.  What
you don't want to do is come up with a service target just to enable these
notifications.  That'll confuse the living daylights out of your end users.

I don't know at what point your notifications need to fire, but SLM lets you
set all sorts of conditions for things to happen and I know we use it to send
emails, though I don't remember offhand whether it is possible to use it to
email anyone outside of Assigned Group members.   You'd have to research that
point.

The other snag I can think of that you might run into has to do with message
content, and it depends on what ticket-specific information (if any) your DL
group members need.  I know we pull in Customer Name, Desk Location, Customer
Phone and Incident Summary, but we weren't able to pull in any of the target
times.  Because our SLAs are based on Priority, we were able to fudge our way
around that with this kind of statement:  "The RESPONSE target for this ticket
is Y hours, and X hours of this goal have elapsed."   Since you're looking at
creating non-standard SLM notifications, that's something you'll probably want
to look into fairly quickly to help you determine whether this option can work
for you.

Good luck!

Natalie Stroud
SAIC @ Sandia National Laboratories
ARS-ITSM Tester
Albuquerque, NM USA
nkst...@sandia.gov<mailto:nkst...@sandia.gov>
ITSM 7.6.04 SP2 - Windows 2008 - SQL Server 2008