Error 38 happens when a filter is doing set fields $PROCESS$ and the
process isn't returning a value.

I would hope in your import log there's some more information - like which
filter is actually causing the problem.

I imagine that the 7.1 import tool will give you the same problem.

I have seen this issue occur when the number of processes running on a
server has reached it's limit.  (because the processes being run were not
exiting cleanly.

If there is no further message in the import log, I would try to run a
small import the same way with server side logging turned on to track down
the offending filter.

For a large and regular batch job, I would re-qualify the filter so that my
import could set a flag and disable it, then make handle whatever it was
trying to accomplish in a bulk transaction after the batch was complete.