Hmm.. if only we could pull our heads out of our collective asses.... As a
species I would not be surprised to see us victims of our own demise,
through either action (contaminating or otherwise destroying our
environment) or inaction (sitting here fighting ourselves instead of
expanding ourselves).  But, I hope I'm wrong.

Another quote from Hawking:

"I think computer viruses should count as life ... I think it says
something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so
far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."