**
Hi :)

So you just have ARS and CMDB? No ITSM, SRM, SLM?
I guess that on the same VM you'll also have a mid-tier and the database?
Will you install the web services Atrium Core and a Tomcat for it?

CPU: 4 core indeed, 2 would be the limit.

Processing speed: I would say it doesn't matter that much.
If it's a poc the CPU processing speed isn't really a problem. I got a laptop which is an octocore 2.30 Ghz but which is overall more powerfull / faster that most of my customers dev / staging environment.

RAM: seems a bit high if you have only ARS+CMDB+Integrator.
I made a 8.1 VM with 12 GB ram but with all the stack (ARS, CMDB, ITSM, SRM, SLM, Integrator server, Openfire, tomcat for mid-tier, tomcat for Atrium Core webservices, sql server) and right now after one day use I'm using 9 GB with several Firefox and Chrome opened, developer studio and Data Import Tool on the VM.
I guess in your case you could go to 10 if you don't install the Tomcat for the Atrium Webservices. Or even 8 GB but I wouldn't be that comfortable here. Right now with web browsers closed and dev studio / data import closed I'm using 7.74 GB RAM (so with all stack and Tomcat for Atrium WS using nearly 500 MB).

HDD:
It seems a lot. I'm using 66 GB used right now but once again, I have all the stack, online help, Analytics and BO XI 4, Dashboards and so on.

My advice is to limit the SQL Server memory setting at 4 GB.
I would go for Java 1.7 x64 and Tomcat 7 x64 (or use the Tomcat from installer).
As for OS, are those the 2008 or 2008 R2 versions? I always work with R2 and they work fine (with latest SP on both).

Then more importantly it depends what you want to do with this POC VM. Just a demo "here is what is the CMDB" or big reconciliations, a lot of data, interfaces and so on?

Anwyay, a POC is there to show off to customers most of the time. So if you can take a cool hardware rig with 12 GB RAM, a very fast HDD (or SSD) and 4 CPU, do it.