All,

We're running a home-grown incident management application on ARS7.0.1, and
to keep on a supported platform decided to look into migrating the server
to 7.6.04.  All running on Solaris with Oracle 10g on the backend.

We have 5 test environments, so far have upgraded 3 without any issues -
all interfaces (and we have lots!) worked without any issues.  Stupid
amount of regression testing, no issues found.

We had an outage slot agreed with the business (8 hours) and ran through
the live system upgrade.  Note that this is a load balanced environment
(active-active, shared database).

Put servers into admin mode, restart one (shut down the other).  We didn't
take them out of server group mode (which I'm starting to think was a
mistake).
Upgrade "ran" through (it takes 4 hours per server), then towards the end
it claimed it had failed.  Yet the AR Services were running.

What wasn't working?  Plugin server (and therefore a lot of our
interfaces).  Couldn't diagnose the fault at the time (this was at around
3am on a saturday night), had to roll back (thankfully the 7.0.1 installer
took 3 minutes, and Oracle could be repointed to its backup database).

When we tried to invoke a web service, we received an ARERR 9130 Invalid
number of parameters for Web Service call : 9130

The web services and code that we had in place was unchanged, and the same
code base had worked without any problems on all of our test environments.

The installation log had only one obvious error :

  LOG EVENT {Description=[Failed to execute createARuser],Detail=[Action
Request System  Access Cache Manager   Version 7.6.04 Build 002 201101141059
(c) Copyright 1991-2010 BMC Software, Inc.
You are already at the limit of the number of fixed user licenses of the
following type Write  : (4) (ARERR 30)
Summary of command line arguments:
   Operation     : Add User
   Name          : Action Request Installer Account
   Entry ID      : 999999999999999
   Group List    : 1;
   Email Addr    :
   Notify Mech   : 1
   License Type  : 1
   Update server : localhost
   Server port   : 7010
Unicode mode: FALSE

And yes, we have plenty of licenses ..... and yes, I realise that the
licensing system has changed between 7.0.1 and 7.6.04.

Any ideas as to the possible cause?

Regards

Dave Barber