Telalert got *very* expensive and full of unnecessary bells and whistles.
 (they bundle it with their own help desk software and do voice recognition
if I remember correctly, things like that)

I still see telalert out there at a few customers, but most people are
using SMS to email gateways or blackberry.  I think if you contact them
they will still sell licenses for the old version that is strictly for
paging, but they don't advertise it.

There are a number of web services that are open for integration that will
confirm delivery, but my experience with testing them out is that they are
about as reliable as the email gateways but  with the email gateways you
can contact the telco about fixing delivery problems (like if your email
servers get flagged as a spammer)

Integrating with a SIM card device / hosted provider is expensive and takes
a long time for approval mainly because it's generally used for advertising
and even with all the alerts remedy sends, the volume will fall far short
of what those are typically used for.

If you want to receive messages as well - it's a choice of either hosting a
SIM card or leveraging a web service.  Some providers will post the inbound
messages to a web service, others convert it to an email, and others will
allow you to poll a web service.