Hi,

I explained that the NIC is connected to the computer, the switch, the
network router perhaps, the T1, the LAN segments, etc... allowing us to assess
the impact for an outage, upgrade, etc... This did not seem to matter.  I
need to be able to communicate the value in "user-friendly terms."   I  was
asked if there was any documentation to show this relationship and the
importance of the NIC info.  Is there any documentation on the BMC  website
that
would illustrate how this is valuable for the business?

*************
Some monitoring and logging tools report issues they spot by IP addresses.
What your CI's let you do is start at that point and then look at the tree
of  related CI's to see what is behind the IP. If you've populated the CMDB
well  enough, you could know servers and apps and affected user groups
quickly. If you  remove your IP endpoints, you'll have to manually look them up
to find the  server and then return to the CMDB to see the tree again.

If 130K CI's  are causing performance issues, it is probably because of the
way they are being  used rather than their existence in the CMDB. Look to
how they are presented to  the user. Is someone doing a query that returns
them all? Is the UI used too  crude to allow chunking or a narrowing of a
search?

-al