From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of LJ LongWing
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:25 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: WARNING on Microsoft MS11-030 KB2509553

**

Chris,

Earlier this week, I came across this problem, but it wasn't with the
particular MS Patch that you mention.  I wanted to send out a note to the
community notifying them of the eventual 'fix' that BMC provided to me on
this scenario.  I had all of the same symptoms, armonitor wouldn't start, no
matter how I tried it.  When starting it from services, it would try to
write to an armonitor.log in the syswow folder, etc.

The eventual fix that BMC came back with was to modify the 'Image Path' of
the service to not include " marks.

The install path was

"C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\armonitor.exe"

they just had me take the " out, and everything started up fine.

The best I can come up with regarding the 'reason' for this is that in x64
based systems, MS implements file system redirect to get you to the correct
version of the file you are looking for...if you are a 32 bit app, and try
to access various folders, you are redirected to the syswow64 folder
instead.  Based on the 'fix' provided, it seems that at times, MS implements
a change in some process that causes the " at the beginning of the image
path to be misunderstood and makes c:\windows\syswow64 the 'root' of the
process instead of the intended folder, which of course makes it not work
because the files don't exist there.