From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Janie Sprenger
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:52 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Installation problems with ARS 8.1.00

**
Hi John,

I had a really hard time completing the upgrades from 7604.  Everything had to
be patched to 7604 SP4 first.  That wasn't really hard.  The main trouble was
that we also ran into an issue because the system that I was upgrading had a
failed RKM installation in 7604 that I didn't know about.  That failed install
caused problems in the upgrade, we manually redid the ITSM installation about 3
times, fixing problems as we went and then resetting the installer and temp
folder, etc.  Ultimately it installed successfully; however, once we really
started reviewing the apps, we had more problems with RKM than we could deal
with and ultimately opted to build a new 8.1 environment and port the
customizations and data.

My experience with installing 8.1 was on Windows 2012/SQL 2012 with a Windows
administrator account.  Both are VMs on the same physical host and SQL was a
local account.  To be honest, the clean installs were super easy and fast.  I
made sure any hardware pre-req that I could think of was met.  There was plenty
of disk space and memory for the servers.

One thing I have noticed is that the Core and ITSM installers need quite a
large amount of disk space to unpack everything.  While the ultimate product
isn't insane for disk space, the installation temporarily uses a lot of disk
space.

Another item I've noticed with the installers also prior to 8.1 is that SQL
databases that have transaction logging on will take longer for the installer
to run because it's of course logging all of those changes.

I would lean towards looking at where that DB is running, if it's in a shared
SQL environment and there isn't enough juice to run, the install will just dog.
 I had that happen once, turns out that SQL admin had something like 2GB ram
allocated to the db, I talked them into jumping it up to 12gb (since it was
shared) and the install completed.

The other thing to investigate is network latency as I'm sure you know.

Oh, and are you doing any of the installs with the installers on shared drives?
 The installers on shared drives tend to be a problem.

HTH
Janie

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Reiser, John J