I tend to agree.  I am not sure why they don't simply create a
configuration page in their products that allows for the configuration of
the most common SSO integration methods:
  - HTTP Header (provide name of the header, define trusted IPs, etc.)
  - SAML Configuration
  - Kerberos
  - Client certificates

Then document the configuration steps required to use the available methods.

The pages to configure the authentication could look something like these:
  http://blog.newrelic.com/wp-content/uploads/SAML_screen.png
  https://www.netiq.com/documentation/idm401/agpro/graphics/ssoconfig1.png
  https://www.netiq.com/communities/media/img/13456-1.png
  http://indirat.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/sforce-sp-config31.png

Though most of these authentication methods require some level of technical
expertise to implement properly, most of these authentication methods are
well known.  The methods to hook into these using Java or C are well known
and many libraries exist to do just that.

The last thing I want to see is another solution to do the same thing as
other solution(s) within the enterprise.  Competing products in the same
space is a waste of time and money and integrating the two typically proves
challenging and expensive and wrought with compromise.

Bundling a completely separate piece of of an enterprise infrastructure
with your product to do what most enterprises already do makes little sense
to me.

Axton Grams