We're implementing a custom article template that uses a DVF to render
attachments on the Article content screen in 8.1.  Mainly this works with
PDFs because other documents don't render in browser windows anymore -
although, you will be prompted to download the attachment.

I'm not sure how well this will really work out in production but
conceptually, if your documents are in PDF the solution works well.

We've had a hard time with moving MS Word content into the Article Content
fields, even though the fields render HTML, the content changes and images
tend to be extremely difficult to import because of the attachment
concept.

Janie