Not sure it's because you have the Sandbox enabled but it could be due to
having a matching Recon ID record in a 2nd dataset.

Not sure which fields you are running into but I noticed there's workflow
that sets the Status back to Deployed when I set the status to Delete in
the BMC.ASSET dataset from the Asset form when there is a secondary dataset
that contains a matching Recon ID to the record I'm working on.

I'm on 8.1 and don't remember this happening in prior versions, not saying
it didn't happen - I just don't remember running into it.

I've also noticed that when I use the DSM dataset to automatically create
relationships for searches in the Atrium Core (this auto creates CIs and
relationships in the DSM dataset), then I definitely run into this problem.

Maybe do a search on Base Element with the Recon ID and see how many
matches you have.

Janie