In ITSM 8.1 I was able to make slight changes versions of both those URLs
work.

I wasn't able to get the first one to work with either the the field name
or field label (I didn't bother trying with URL encoded special charters in
field label attempt).  I changed the Incident Number reference to use the
field ID and it worked fine.

The second URL worked just fine when I put in our server info and an
Incident number that exists in our system.

That is fun and all but doesn't speak to your authentication issue.  Are
you already logged in when opening the URL?  Your existing session should
be used (unless you are in some kind of private browsing mode).  If you are
not already logged in then you should be presented with the login page and
once logged in be sent to the proper request (validated URLs this way too).

Just to confirm there are no issues going to
https://MidtierServer/arsysand logging in?  I am having thinking of
any reason why a URL without any
username/password parameters would throw an authentication failed message.

Jason