From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Mueller, Doug
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2014 12:59 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Override Change Lock down during approval phase 8.1

**
Chris,

As you found, it is an easy customization - and using overlays you can define
the change easily and that
change is then preserved across upgrades.

HOWEVER, I want to make sure that everyone is really aware of what the
ramifications are.

Planning as gone on and there was a proposal to install version zzz of some
program.  It was discovered that
version zzz has a major security hole that allows unrestricted and global
access to all corporate databases.
So, that was taken out.

Things went out for approval and the security team - who understands the issue
here and the vulnerability -
checked the change to be sure that version zzz of the program was not being
installed.  They approved the
change request.

Now, someone who was on vacation at the time of the planning discussion comes
along and sees the
change and while looking at it notices that the upgrade to version zzz of the
program is not present and they
knew it was in the plan.  So, they assume it must have been forgotten and add a
task to do the work (and it
is not prevented as you removed the block).

So, the change proceeds and your company ends up on the front page of the Wall
Street Journal the next
morning with a report of a massive data breach....

No, I am not kidding.  This exact scenario is not necessarily going to happen,
but there will be errors and flaws
and failed changes and exposures of risk.  Once you are to the stage of
approval, the change should be locked
down so that everyone can be doing appropriate due diligence and have
confidence that they did the review
and don't have to constantly recheck because someone may have changed the plan
that they reviewed.

Of course everyone just wants to "streamline" and "do the right thing".  In my
example, that is EXACTLY what
the person I describe was doing.  They were "streamlining" the process by not
asking others and were "doing
the right thing" by correcting the error they found that forgot a step of the
process.  All intentions were pure
and true.  But, the result was a disaster.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on this posting as it provides a terrific example
of a packaged solution that
includes best practices FOR A REASON.  That is what you get an application for.

And, at the same time, it shows that small or large or even violating
protections and safety protocols, you can
adjust the logic easily to match your desires/requirements.  AND, that change
is often quite easy.  AND, the
change is clearly recorded and you can see the original and your change at any
time (actually anyone with
permissions can).  AND, your change is preserved across upgrades with new
updates coming in from BMC to
the area you customized with your customization still applying.

The best of both worlds....

In all cases, just be sure that it is clear what the ramifications of each
direction so that the right path is taken
for your situation.

Doug Mueller