Hi Jason, thanks for biting :-) :-) .....

I apologize if I offended some of you. It's just that I was so glad that ARSmarts could be so useful to its users. Furthermore, I don't have much details about what the customer did, unfortunately.

That being said, I would be glad to share with the community here some detailed examples of how ARSmarts can help save time. As I do not work deep in the bits and bytes anymore, I asked some of our users as well as my colleagues to feed me with detailed examples. I will share them the minute I receive them.

For my part, and from my higher level point of view, here is an example of ARSmarts' added value: I like to have .def files from the different environments (Dev-Test-Prod) on a regular basis. This helps me to look back in the past if necessary (it worked last week, it doesn't work today; what has my team done the last two weeks; the customer says they did not touch the code, but I doubt it, ....). Using ARSmarts, I can generate .def files automatically, on a regular basis (daily, weekly depending of the developments going on).
The key advantages:
- .def generated automatically, meaning unattended, even if I am not on site
- no limitation of size (ITSM 8 is no problem)
- no impact on server performance (so I can generate .def files even from servers used 24x7) - no ARSmarts license needed, so this is free of charge (and free is good ;-) :-) )
How can you do that:
- download ARSmarts from our website
- install ARSmarts on any Windows computer (be certain that the computer stays on at night if you schedule exports during night time) - read the Appendix III in the ARSmarts User Guide so that you can create a command file (we'll call it ExportRemedyDefs.txt) - in the command file, specify the servers from which you want to export the definitions, where to store the .def files, and other options - open the Windows Scheduler, and schedule : arsmarts.exe -c ExportRemetyDefs.txt -o outputfile.txt and other options if needed.

I always choose to include in the batch operation the decode of the .def with ARSmarts and to save the file as ARSmarts Compiled File, so that I can open them quickly (1 min vs 20 min).

Hope this meets your expectations. More detailed examples later (hopefully beginning of next week).

Cheers,

Kaïs.