My colleagues and I are having a discussion about the best way to create,
utilize and classify a combination of technical and business services within
ITSM. We are anticipating about 150 or so total services being defined when we
finish updating our service catalog

With this in mind, one of the concerns that we have is the sheer volume of
services that will be available from within the Service drop down field (i.e.
within Incident and Change) as most of our customers will be ‘users’ of most of
the services. I am curious if those of you with a “large” number of defined
services have an issues with such a list and/or how you handle the layout of
such a list (i.e. somehow use a tier structure)

Another item that we want to make sure is addressed is that the services are
able to be rolled up and reported on at a higher level classification of the
service. Some of the things we are thinking about to help this are of using the
product tiers of the CI to have the tickets populate the initial ProdCats on
things like Incident, but this workflow/behavior is not always consistent
across other modules and would entail manual entry of these values in the
ProdCats of the entry. Another option we have discussed is the use of joining
in a report the Service listed in the various ITSM module tickets with the CI’s
ProdCats for rollup purposes. We are curious if and how anyone else is doing
this type of roll up.

Lastly, we are trying not to create customized workflow/fields in order to
accomplish these tasks.

Thanks for any input and suggestions

John