Up to version 1.90 ars_APIVersion was returning the value of
AR_EXPORT_VERSION (from arstruct.h) instead of AR_CURRENT_API_VERSION.
This has been changed with version 1.91. You didn't mention what ARSperl
version you are using, but it probably can't be 1.91 (or else I'd be
very surprised).

Regards,
Thilo