My guess is you have remote repository reference stripping set on the
virtual repository (in the virtual repo config panel - Advanced:Cleanup
Repository References in POMs). You can set it to 'Nothing' but IIRC in
2.1.3 there's a bug that will reformat the POM regardless of the setting
(though the POM would be perfectly legal even after formatted). This was
fixed in 2.2.0.
The other reason that this could happen is if you have multiple instance of
the POM in the underlying hosted repos and the one picked up is not the one
from the hosted repo you are looking at.