Are you using a proxy infront of Artifactory?

If I try the URL directly with cURL, randomly the request may get stalled
for a long time on establishing the connection (for over a minute) or fail
on a connection timeout: curl -o - -f -G -A Artifactory/2.2.2
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/maven-metadata.xml
(do
it from the machine running Artifactory).
Still, since most of the requests succeed I would expect the file to be
resolved.

You can try increasing the connection and network timeout for the remote
repo and zap the remote repo cache again . It looks like a pure networking
issue.