Some digging around turned up the suggestion that configuring Ivy to use
Commons HttpClient might help, so I did that, and I do find that the issue is
cropping up less frequently now.  It has not gone away entirely however.
HttpClient does at least expose the underlying socketexception however, which
is:

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

I'm not a TCP guru, but I understand that the "connection reset by peer" bit is
telling me that the Artifactory server has closed its side of the socket
connection, while Ivy is still writing.  Does anyone know if there's anything
that can be done to improve this?  Is there a timeout/ buffer size setting on
the server side that's configurable, or perhaps a Java system setting that
would affect this?  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Phillip Rhodes
Redwood Software