On 08/14/2014 09:16 AM, Robert Jordens wrote:
> Also that excerpt misses the point of the underlying question, which is
> when to best convert floating point physical quantities to integer
> device units.

What about having soft floating point (and rational with e.g. 64-bit
numerator and denominator) support on the device? That's not
particularly hard to implement, as we already need a typing system to
distinguish between 32-bit integers (for fast computations), 64-bit
integers (for high range variables like time) and integer arrays (for
histograms).

Then the compiler just tries to fold constants as much as possible to
improve performance. If parts of the computation are not folded - either
because the transform is not smart enough or because of a dependency on
runtime data - things will still work, albeit at a slower speed.

Sébastien