Here are Greg's first ideas about the new hardware, my comments, and his
answers.

Sébastien

Subject: RE: FW: initial specification of the project
Date: Friday, 25 March 2016, 12:24:02 PM HKT
From: Grzegorz Kasprowicz <gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl>
To: 'Sébastien Bourdeauducq' <s...@m-labs.hk>
CC: r...@m-labs.hk, joe.britton....@gmail.com

Hi Sebastien
My comments (**) are below

-----Original Message-----
From: Sébastien Bourdeauducq [mailto:s...@m-labs.hk]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 4:54 AM
To: Grzegorz Kasprowicz <gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl>
Cc: r...@m-labs.hk; joe.britton....@gmail.com

Hi,

Thanks for the documents. Some quick comments:
* there are too few SFPs on the MCH. Can we have a double-width card instead
with at least 4 SFPs?
**Sure, we can. It would be easier for me:)

* whether or not we use Zynq remains to be decided.
**The price difference is not that high (a few tens of $) and we get plenty
of CPU power

* transceivers on the backplane are acceptable but not necessary; since we
have multiple signals we can transmit a clock and use the regular IOSERDES
to lower FPGA requirements.
**Well, IOSERDES can go up to 1.2Gbit n synchronous mode.
**GTH can go 12Gbit/s easily
**Are you sure you want to relay only on IOSERDES?

* what is the other large BGA chip on the MCH rendering? Is it the Macom
M21048 48x48 crossbar? Let's not use such a device, which looks unnecessary,
complicated, and very proprietary. There isn't even a public datasheet for
it.
We do not need direct communication between the AMCs.

**At the moment not, but remember that it's going to be research platform
**I can make an option with this chip not mounted. I simply see another
potential of this board and the place on the PCB does not cost single $
since we have to use standard module **dimensions:) The price of the
crossbar is not high, I easily got 2 free samples.
**In case of the datasheet, I got it easily after I signed the NDA.

* we want to avoid RTMs and instead put the DAC/ADCs on the AMC card and
have analog plug-ins using the FMC form factor (see my document).
**Are you sure you would get noise performance from such setup that
satisfies you?

Can we have those discussions on the ARTIQ mailing list?

**Sure.
**Best ragards,
**Greg

Best regards,