[reposted to arts-users instead of arts-dev]

Hi,

when ARTS converts a channel (i.e. polychromatic) radiance from one
unit to another, such as in yApplyUnit or directly in yCalc, does it
take into account the finite width of channels?  The NOAA KLM User's
Guide provides band corrections (see, for example, Equation 7.3.3-4
and Table D1-4) to compensate for the fact that using the central
wavenumber when inverting the Planck function for a radiance
integrated over a finite spectral width is not correct.  I'm told ATSR
simulations use lookup tables.  As far as I can tell, ARTS uses only
the central frequency (f_backend) but I might be missing something as
it's all folded into the sensor_response optimisation so not very easy
to follow.  What I'm looking for is the physically correct way to do
the conversion (with a secondary aim to quantify how large an error is
introduced by approximating it monochromatically).

I found a forum discussion at
http://www.nwpsaf.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=184 where James Hocking
links to an old NOAA Technical Report (Weinreb et al, 1981) at
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112106578377;view=1up;seq=12
.

What does ARTS do?

regards,
Gerrit.
_______________________________________________
arts-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.sat.ltu.se/mailman/listinfo/arts-users

Reply via email to