Hi all,

I struggled a bit to set up absorption lookup tables for our Odin/SMR processing. For some frequency modes we extend the retrieval into the thermosphere, and this causes problems. My reference temperature profile is about 170 K at the mesopause, and accordingly abs_t_pert can not go below about -160 K. This means that I have only a 160 K margin downwards in the thermosphere, which is by far too narrow.

My present solution is to not allow the reference temperature be above 300 K, and instead have a abs_t_pert going to high positive values (+600 K). This works and is OK.

However, this got me to think. The simplest for me would in fact to set abs_t to be e.g. 250 K at all altitudes, that would basically would give me a fixed t_grid. Further, with modern computers where memory is not a problem, maybe it is time to give up on using abs_t + abs_t_pert, and instead just having a t_grid. That is, to have a standard "rectangular" set-up, with a standard pressure and temperature grid.

I suggest to switch to a fixed t_grid as I think it could speed up the interpolation significantly. I assume that with present abs-table, new temperature grid positions must be calculated for each altitude (as abs_t(i)+abs_t_pert varies). Stefan: Can you confirm this? Have you considered the speed impact of this?

With a fixed t_grid, a given temperature has the same grid position at all altitudes.

Any comments?

Bye,

Patrick