Hi Richard,

I'm CC'ing arts-dev since this might be interesting to others as well.

> On 8 Jun 2017, at 15:44, Richard Larsson <ric.lars...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Oliver,
>
> I like this.  Stop me if I am abusing this with too many automatic
> declarations.  Or too few.

Hehe, don't overuse it. In simple cases like 'Index i = 2;', we should refrain
from using auto in my opinion. :-)

> Is there some official guide you can share about what else makes C++11
> better?  Or rather, what C++11 makes better than 98.  People online have been
> saying it can be like a completely different language....

I think the major changes become most apparent in template heavy code. Since
our code is mostly quite basic in terms of C++ features, it won't be that
different.

This is a nice presentation of the new features with examples:

https://www.slideshare.net/goldshtn/whats-new-in-c-11

> Will the default flags stop me from using C++14/17? I heard modules might be
> in 17...

-std=c++11 is passed as a compiler flag which should disallow any newer
features. But that doesn't mean all compilers respect that, some might be less
rigid. It is best to check on http://en.cppreference.com/w/ when using a
feature you're not sure about when it was added. cppreference.com is anyway a
great resource when looking for C++ documentation.

cheers,
/oliver