Hi all,

I would like to add some further PSD options to ARTS (specifically ones for
rain and graupel that are consistent with the single-moment schemes used in the
Met Office NWP model). I will be making use of them by defining hydrometeor
mass density fields and then using pnd_fieldCalcFromscat_speciesFields.

However, I'm a little bit confused as to the correct way to implement these
(and there appears to be incomplete implementations of some of the existing
options e.g. Abel & Boutle 2012 for rain, which happens to be one of the ones
I'd like to use). The guidance in the arts developer guide also doesn't seem to
follow what's actually in the code for some cases.

So far I have:

-          added logic to pnd_fieldCalcFromscat_speciesFields to call
pnd_fieldXXX for each of the new parametrizations

-          updated the documentation for pnd_fieldCalcFromscat_speciesFields in
methods.cc to include the new parametrizations

-          added new pnd_fieldXXX function to microphysics.cc (not cloudbox.cc
as suggested by the developer guide) to calculate the pnd field according to
the raw PSD function psd_XXX and the scattering meta-data (and added this to
microphysics.h as well)

-          added new "raw" psd calculation psd_XXX to psd.cc
This seems to be all that is required to make my use-case work, but I can see
that it is not quite complete. In particular, I believe that I should add a new
workspace method dNdD_XXX to allow a direct calculation of the raw PSD. Should
this go in m_microphysics.cc (and be added to methods.cc)? This seems to be
where other ones are, but again the developer guide suggests it should be in
m_cloudbox.cc.

What is the purpose of the psd_XXX functions in m_psd.cc? Are these also
required?

Thanks for your help,

Stuart

Dr Stuart Fox  Radiation Research Manager
Met Office FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 330 135 2480  Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
Email: stuart....@metoffice.gov.uk  Website: www.metoffice.gov.uk
See our guide to climate change at
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-change/guide/