Dear Stuart,

yes, exactly, thanks for pointing this out. :-) I had completely forgotten
about this.

This problem is related but slightly different: The VMR profile that we get as
input may be based on the convention that x = p_species/p_dry, rather than
p_species/p_total.

I just quickly checked the FASCOD profiles that we distribute with
arts-xml-data. Looking at O2 and N2, it seems to me that they clearly follow
this convention (the numbers for O2 are constant almost to the top).

That means, we have been interpreting them slightly wrong all these years, I’m
afraid.

To fix the particular issue with the FASCOD data, I guess a condensibles
argument, similar to the one for atm_fields_compactAddConstant for AtmRawRead
could be a solution.

What makes this a bit messy is that there are quite a few ways in which we can
ingest data. We would have to figure out where else to add this extra argument.
But one other main way, reading in atm_fields_compact, uses a generic method,
so that approach doesn’t even work.

Another solution could be to make a method that does the rescaling on the
fields after they are read (but before the calculation). Something like

vmr_fieldRescaleForDryPressureVMRInputData(vmr_field, abs_species, condensibles)

Right now I would say that is the best solution, since it is easy and fixes the
problem in one place. The only (quite significant) downside I see is that it is
not at all foolproof, since it can easily be omitted.

/Stefan