Thanks, Richard.  I tried your suggestion.  Unfortunately, it does not work.
The error message is:

arts TestAbsCoeff.arts

Version: arts-2.2.57 (compiled Fri Feb 12 21:05:27 2016)
Executing Arts
{…
…
…
}
This run took 11.10s (11.07s CPU time)
Run-time error in controlfile: TestAbsCoeff.arts
Run-time error in method: AgendaExecute
Run-time error in method: abs_xsec_per_speciesInit
Method abs_xsec_per_speciesInit needs input variable: abs_species_active
Stopping ARTS execution.
Goodbye.

Here is the script:

____________________________

#DEFINITIONS:  -*-sh-*-
#
# An example ARTS controlfile that calculates absorption
# coefficients.
# SAB 16.06.2000

Arts2 {

INCLUDE "general/general.arts"
INCLUDE "general/continua.arts"
INCLUDE "general/agendas.arts"
INCLUDE "general/planet_earth.arts"

# Agenda for scalar gas absorption calculation
Copy(abs_xsec_agenda, abs_xsec_agenda__noCIA)
# on-the-fly absorption
Copy( propmat_clearsky_agenda, propmat_clearsky_agenda__OnTheFly )

abs_linesReadFromHitran( abs_lines,
       "/RT/HITRAN/HITRAN2012.par",
        3.880627143214052e+14,
        3.961610390054004e+14 )

abs_speciesSet( species=[ "H2O-PWR98",
                          "O2-PWR93" ] )

# This separates the lines into the different tag groups and creates
# the workspace variable `abs_lines_per_species':
abs_lines_per_speciesCreateFromLines

# Dimensionality of the atmosphere
AtmosphereSet1D

VectorNLogSpace( p_grid, 200, 100000, 10 )

# Atmospheric profiles
AtmRawRead( t_field_raw, z_field_raw, vmr_field_raw, abs_species,
"testdata/tropical" )

# Now interpolate all the raw atmospheric input onto the pressure
# grid and create the atmospheric variables `t_field', `z_field', `vmr_field'
AtmFieldsCalc

# Initialize the input variables of abs_coefCalc from the Atm fields:
AbsInputFromAtmFields

# Create the frequency grid `f_grid':
VectorNLinSpace( f_grid, 25000,3.880627143214052e+14, 3.961610390054004e+14 )

IndexSet(stokes_dim, 1)

# Calculate absorption coefficients, both total (`abs_coef') and
# separately for each tag group (`abs_coef_per_species'):

atmfields_checkedCalc
abs_xsec_agenda_checkedCalc
AgendaExecute(abs_xsec_agenda)
abs_coefCalcFromXsec

# Optionally write these to files:
WriteXML( output_file_format,abs_coef_per_species)
}