Hi,

thanks Richard for your feedback. I'm not sure, though, whether I really
understand it (incl. wondering why you talk about jacobians here...).
*scratches head*

we're trying to pin down where the wind is blowing in a 1D atm setup. 1D
allows us to have vertical (w) and horizontal (v) winds that affect the
signal. let's forget about the vertical, that one is clear. for the
horizontal, there is two possible wind directions in a 1D case - a head
wind (aka blowing in the observer's face) and a tail wind (aka blowing from
the observer's back). which of these corresponds to a positive, which to a
negative wind(_v) speed.

starting from your "For the 'absolute' wind speed option, a positive
retrieved sign is equivalent to a red-shift" and equating a red-shift with
observer moving away from source (or source from observer...), a positive
wind should mean a tail wind.

which actually seems indeed in agreement with info I dig from the ARTS
documentation (not that easy to find and combine for a beginner...): wind_v
doc says positive v-winds are winds blowing south to north (which alone
isn't very helpful for 1D setups - there is no north in 1D...); sensor_los
doc says for the 2D case (allowing positive and negative zenith angles - in
order to distinguish two possible viewing directions) that positive angles
are equivalent to viewing towards higher latitudes, ie towards north.
assuming this is valid for 1D, too (ie in 1D the observer always looks
towards north) means for the 1D case positive winds (blowing to north)
equate tail winds (for an observer looking north), negative winds are head
winds.

to confirm this, Rita, you could have a look where the line peak moves
(prefereably in a high-spectral resolution simulation) for positive and
negative winds, respectively. for positive it should move to lower freqs,
for negative to higher.

best wishes,
Jana