Dear Robin,

As Stefan wrote, we don't have much experience of the lowest frequencies you mentioned, but in

https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/12/6341/2019/

we used ARTS down to 7 GHz. We did not consider the atmospheric settings in detail, so I can not say anything about the absolute accuracy. Anyhow, based on what I know, to get you started I would say:

* Among gases, only N2, O2 and H2O should matter. Other gases can be ignored.

* For these frequencies you can avoid "line-by-line" and get full coverage by applying a continua model for N2, and full absorption models for O2 and H20.

* I would recommend to include LWC (liquid water content), that at these frequencies can be considered as purely absorbing.

* As the continua and absorption models are quite fast you can calculate absorption "on-the-fly" (instead of using a pre-calculated lookup-table, that is a more complex setup).

* The basic settings to achieve the above are:

# Agenda for scalar gas absorption calculation
Copy(abs_xsec_agenda, abs_xsec_agenda__noCIA )

# on-the-fly absorption
Copy( propmat_clearsky_agenda, propmat_clearsky_agenda__OnTheFly )

# Definition of species
#
abs_speciesSet( species = [
   "N2-SelfContStandardType",
   "O2-PWR98",
   "H2O-PWR98",
   "liquidcloud-ELL07"
] )

# No transitions needed
#
abs_lines_per_speciesSetEmpty

* Note that you must include N2, O2 and H2O vmrs, in vmr_field, in the order used in abs_species (values between 0 and 1). LWC shall be given in kg/m3.

* Rain will have a significant impact, but is more complex to include in the simulations. In addition, ERA5 does not give you full information on rain, only rain of stratiform type is reported (convective rain is treated differently in the model and is not reported). And it could be questioned if the rain is placed correctly in place and time.

Bye,

Patrick