Dear Shaofei Wang,

I didn’t know what to make of your question 2, but a private mail from Patrick
gave me the right clue.

I think the behaviour you see is correct, although unintuitive. The reason is
that the self-broadening parameter of water vapor is a lot larger than its
broadening parameters by other gases.

With the Perrin catalogue that you use, broadening is specified explicitly for
individual gases (no concept of abstract “air”). In order to make sure that the
total broadening agrees with the total pressure, available broadening is
rescaled if the given VMRs do not add up to 1.

As a consequence, if you make a calculation for an atmosphere that is 100% H2O,
it will effectively use the self broadening parameter together with the total
pressure. The water lines then appear wider, but less intense in the center, as
shown by your plot.

The correct way to decompose absorption (or opacity) is to make the calculation
with all species switched on. Then either look inside an absorption lookup
table (which stores the species separately), or use the Jacobian feature. A
third way is to use a special flag to the methods that go into the
propmat_clearsky_agenda, which tells them to calculate only for one gas (while
keeping the other for broadening).

Or, simpler than all this if you just want to redo the figure with minimal
effort, switch to a different line catalog that does not have “per species”
broadening parameters. Either the Artscat in arts-xml-data or HITRAN should
work. Those catalogs contain an “air” broadening parameter, that internally is
multiplied with the total pressure, so the program will not notice that your
VMRs do not add up to 1.

Best wishes,

Stefan