i do remember your name from all those years ago bjc223.  now that i  think 
about it!  i think the "play ground by the sea" when it comes to  asbury park 
was lost years ago.  decades.  it lingered on, but i think  those were mosty 
memories sparked by what your eyes saw.  what they saw  that was left.  i dont 
think any developer would have come in to  return it to the exact same way it 
was before.  now that a lot of the big  projects have been started, and MM is 
on board.  i think theres a chance  that something will happen that might take 
it back to something most  remember.  i hope your not implying its unique 
sence was lost by the new  lights and street lights!  before it had the most 
standard highway lights  of all!
 

when the new casino was built, did anyone question why it didnt resemble  the 
old one?  or at least build off from it?  the new, current  one, looked 
entirely different.  were there no historians back then?   or didnt anyone 
care. is 
today's historic attributions based more on  nostalgics?
 
Chuck,

No - it's not just the light's and the streetscaping, and yes, I  do 
understand that much was lost years ago but, the things that have been lost  
slowly 
over the past ten years and we all seem to accept as progress are the  things 
that concern me.  Yes, I may be a bit of a nostalgic, and no, they  probably 
did 
not try and recreate the exact same Casino when it was rebuilt, but  I can 
say that there have been few buildings constructed in the last 30-40 years  
that 
can even come close to the quality of the structures built prior to  that.  I 
am sure that when the Casino was rebuilt, it was the only  structure like it 
and it was truely unique...  the fact that AP was built  to step back as you 
move in from the ocean, so that everyone could appreciate  the breeze was 
unique....  the fact that symbols such as lanterns and waves  and shells as 
well as 
quotes of wisdom were inscribed on our buildings for  future generations to 
appreciate and these symbols were representative of our  respect for the land 
and acknowledgement that a manmade structure would never  rival what occurs 
naturally on earth was unique...  I am thankful for  the opportunity to have 
seen 
the remains of AP prior to the demolition and  redevelopment and I am 
grateful to have seen how solid a structure the part of  the casino that was 
taken 
down was, and to have been able to appreciate the  copper bay window that 
overlooked the sea - I am not sure how things will look  in years to come, but, 
I 
hope that someday we can start constructing things in  this country to last 100 
years again and not just to benefit the bottom  line.  Look at how our 
libraries, churches, firehouses, post offices,  schools and courthouses used to 
be 
constructed and compare them to what is  built now - then, we all must ask 
ourselves "Where did we go wrong?"  I am  sure that the construction costs were 
high then too and we probably were not all  taxed to death with real property 
taxes.  I know there is alot of knowledge  out there on this board, and I know 
we 
can all take something more  than an increase in rateables and the 
satisfaction of watching the  transformation of a city (while hearing everyones 
opinions 
about what they  would like to see happen) that was one of the first family  
resorts in our nation where decades of people came to be healed by the magic 
of  the sea. 
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free 
email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at 
http://www.aol.com.

Reply via email to