I want to put the TOC in a non-default position similar to what I want to
do with the date below.

eg, in MediaWiki markup, I can write "__TOC__" to put the table of contents
wherever I want.  I'm looking for something similar in asciidoc.

I suspect this is somewhere in ther user manual; alas, that doc is rather
long and complex and hard to quickly interpret by this new asciidoc
user...but I still try to decipher it as much as I can.  It looks like a
great comprehensive reference, in any case.  (A little friendly, common-faq
summary might be a nice thing to have, too.)

-Matt