Hi,

Thanks very much for your suggestions.   I switched JVMs to use Sun's
1.5.0_08, then tried again, a new exception was thrown:

org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException:
file:///home/patrick/workspace/SupplierSelect/web/docs/./buyerRef.fo:156:3853:
Error(156/3853): fo:block, Invalid property name 'bgcolor
        at org.apache.fop.fo.FONode.attributeError(FONode.java:312)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.PropertyList.handleInvalidProperty(PropertyList.java:469)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.PropertyList.isValidPropertyName(PropertyList.java:357)

I then switched to using FOP 0.20.5 and it worked! Although with the -v
flag set it did produce warnings similar to the above:

[ERROR] property 'bgcolor' ignored

I guess the 0.20 branch is more forgiving.

One minor problem is that asciidoc test using the glossary style:

term:-
    definition text here

is rendered as <glossentry><glossdef> xml in the PDF output.

This is very non-crucial for my purposes, but I thought you might like
to know.

Thanks very much one again - asciidoc is great, and now PDF stuff works
we're all set.

Regards

Patrick